Co-located with the European BD team, this individual will report into the Sr. Vice President, Business Development US. This role has been created to provide leadership to the scouting of new clinical stage opportunities in Europe to support the Global BD effort at Otsuka, and to add essential capacity in Europe for scouting activities. The Dir. Business Development must possess substantial and extensive scientific knowledge and experience working with compounds and development. In addition, the role requires extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, including a broad and deep understanding of development, regulatory and commercial. This individual will lead the process for identifying, screening and prioritizing and of scouting projects within clinical stage business development. Ensure initiatives are in alignment with corporate strategy objectives. In collaboration with the European BD team, acts as a communication conduit for scouting activities.
• Lead search and evaluation effort in the field to proactively identify and solicit new strategic research partnerships with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, non-profit research or patient organizations
• Work closely with relevant internal R&D teams to deeply understand their scientific strategy and align outreach strategy with existing and new areas of Otsuka’s R&D focus to align on opportunity assessment
• Work with strategic partner on business development activities this includes support on full implementation of business services, follow up support, and identify business expansion opportunities
• Attending key conferences across Europe and further developing the European network with an intention.
• Working closely with the Europe based BD team and Otsuka country teams to leverage existing Otsuka relationships in the scouting space
• Maintains a therapeutic understanding and competence in area of focus to understand business, science and operations to lead to viable opportunities.
• Perform initial scientific evaluation of external opportunities across all stages of development
• Business development experience specifically within early clinical stage business development
• Requires demonstrated knowledge and understanding of pharmaceutical development and commercialization and business practices required to successfully bring drugs to market and launch drug product
• Strong local network across European countries
• Knowledge of regulated environments including a basic understanding of payer and provider systems in US, Japan and G5 markets
• In-depth knowledge of enterprise portfolio management and strategy
• Extensive scientific knowledge
• Self-starter who is able to effectively lead multiple projects simultaneously
• Deliver and produce outcomes consistently over time
• Strong negotiator and collaborator who strengthens business relationships
• Effective creator and presenter of executive and functional information
• Strong business acumen and analytic and quantitative skills
• Utilizes experience, presentation and influencing skills to facilitate successful acquisition of the right opportunities
• Demonstrates team and resource management skills; including the ability to manage team dynamics across companies.
• Ability to influence and lead cross-functional teams
• Consistently demonstrates competencies at the Senior Leader level: Strategic Agility, Learning Agility, Building Effective Teams, Developing Directs/ Others, Decision Quality, Dealing with Ambiguity, Managerial Courage, Managing Vision/Purpose
Education and Related Experience
• Required: BS/BA and scientific graduate degree (PhD or MD)
• MBA preferred, but not mandatory with:
o 10 years or more working in business development, commercial and/or medical affairs area of pharmaceutical or biotechnology
o Experience in sourcing and evaluating pharmaceutical or biotech products, preferably in the field of rare diseases, for potential licensing/acquisition
o Excellent communication, presentation, and project management skills
o Independent, creative, highly motivated team player with a “nothing is impossible” attitude
o Able to perform in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities simultaneously, and communicate complex information clearly
o Strong matrix influencing skills
Travel (approximately 40%)
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide.” Otsuka researches, develops, manufactures and markets innovative products, with a focus on pharmaceutical products to meet unmet medical needs and nutraceutical products for the maintenance of everyday health.
In pharmaceuticals, Otsuka is a leader in the challenging area of maental health and also has research programs on several under-addressed diseases including tuberculosis, a significant global public health issue. These commitments illustrate how Otsuka is a “big venture” company at heart, applying a youthful spirit of creativity in everything it does.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 45,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 11 billion (€ 9.9 billion) in 2016.
All Otsuka stories start by taking the road less travelled. Learn more about Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company on its global website at www.otsuka.co.jp/en. Learn more about Otsuka in the U.S. at www.otsuka-us.com.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.