This individual will report into the Sr. Vice President, Business Development. He/ she will support Otsuka’s Business Development activities in the US focusing on pre-clinical and clinical stage business development opportunities. The Associate Director Business Development must possess substantial scientific knowledge and experience working in industry to understand the drug discovery and development process, and how scientific assessment within business development can advance our portfolio interests. The role requires extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, including a broad and deep understanding of development, regulatory and (ideally) commercial experience. This individual will participate in the process for identifying, prioritizing and sequencing of projects within pre-clinical / clinical stage business development, and gain BD experience through working within the broader US and global BD team. Ensure initiatives are in alignment with corporate strategy objectives. Acts as a communication conduit for business project status, actions, decisions, risk and issues and schedules for assigned projects.
• Support search and evaluation efforts in the Neuroscience and Renal fields to proactively identify and solicit new strategic research partnerships with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, non-profit research or patient organizations
• Work closely with relevant internal R&D teams to deeply understand their scientific strategy and align outreach strategy with existing and new areas of Otsuka’s R&D focus to align on opportunity assessment
• Participate and eventually lead in-depth reviews and due diligence on external opportunities and act as a point of contact between the alliance teams and committees to assure successful collaboration with respect to development and commercialization of product
• Coordinate the activities/input necessary to establish the business case (scientific/ technical evaluation, development plan, market research, market opportunity, competitive intelligence, strategic assessment, appropriate transaction financial structure etc.)
• Maintains a therapeutic understanding and competence in area of focus to understand business, science and operations to lead to viable opportunities.
• Perform initial scientific evaluation of external opportunities across all stages of development and play an integral role in the transaction team supporting licensing deals and/or acquisitions of assets
• Business development experience within pre-clinical and/or clinical stage business development
• Requires demonstrated knowledge and understanding of pharmaceutical development and commercialization and business practices required to successfully bring drugs to market
• Knowledge of regulated environments
• Extensive scientific knowledge – ideally in neuroscience, or other significant scientific training is required
• Self-starter who is able to effectively lead multiple projects simultaneously
• Deliver and produce outcomes consistently over time
• Strong interpersonal relationships to strengthen business relationships
• Effective creator and presenter of executive and functional information
• Strong business acumen and analytic and quantitative skills
• Utilizes experience, presentation and influencing skills to facilitate successful acquisition of the right opportunities
• Demonstrates team and resource management skills; including the ability to manage team dynamics across companies.
• Ability to influence and lead cross-functional teams
• Consistently demonstrates competencies at the Associate Director level: Strategic Agility, Learning Agility, Contributing to Effective Teams, Decision Quality, Dealing with Ambiguity, Managerial Courage, Managing with Vision/Purpose
Education and Related Experience:
• Required: BS/BA and scientific graduate degree (PhD or MD)
• MBA preferred, but not mandatory with:
o 2-4 years working in business development, commercial and/or medical affairs area of pharmaceutical or biotechnology
o Experience in sourcing and evaluating pharmaceutical or biotech products, for potential licensing/acquisition
o Experience managing people, vendors or high performing teams.
o Excellent communication, presentation, and project management skills
o Independent, creative, highly motivated team player with a “nothing is impossible” attitude
o Able to perform in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities simultaneously, and communicate complex information clearly
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide.” Otsuka researches, develops, manufactures and markets innovative products, with a focus on pharmaceutical products to meet unmet medical needs and nutraceutical products for the maintenance of everyday health.
In pharmaceuticals, Otsuka is a leader in the challenging area of mental health and also has research programs on several under-addressed diseases including tuberculosis, a significant global public health issue. These commitments illustrate how Otsuka is a “big venture” company at heart, applying a youthful spirit of creativity in everything it does.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 45,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 11 billion (€ 9.9 billion) in 2016.
All Otsuka stories start by taking the road less travelled. Learn more about Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company on its global website at www.otsuka.co.jp/en. Learn more about Otsuka in the U.S. at www.otsuka-us.com.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.