The Senior Director of Market Research is responsible for leading a team of market researchers at Otsuka to deliver deep customer insights that drive business decision making across the entire Otsuka product portfolio, from early development assets to launch products to inline brands. The role reports directly into the Lead of Business Analytics & Insights (BA&I) at Otsuka OAPI and will work closely with the other functions in BA&I, including Brand Analytics, Portfolio Analytics, and Forecasting. The Senior Director of Market Research is also responsible for leading the competitive intelligence efforts to support the commercial information and insights needs that will enable the organization to anticipate and outmaneuver the competition. Disease areas that comprise the scope of MR work include central nervous system disorders, renal disease, oncology, digital medicine, and medical devices.
The Senior Director of Market Research will set the vision and direction for the Market Research organization by creating goals, standards and expectations for high quality MR work, insights creation and compelling deliverables. The Senior Director is expected to develop and leverage partnerships with world-class MR agencies to deliver consistently superior, compelling and actionable results. The Senior Director is expected to manage and develop the MR team by recruiting, hiring, retaining and developing top MR talent. The organization will look to the Senior Director of Market Research to chart a new course of research and insights excellence for the department and the company that will drive business decision making and company success.
The Senior Director of Market Research will need to develop strong cross-functional collaboration and partnership with key stakeholders, including commercial operations, marketing, finance, sales operations, marketing operations, field sales, training and development, market access, patient services, and human resources. The Senior Director will need to possess strong interpersonal and influencing skills to guide and shape critical thinking and decision making about business opportunities and risks. The role requires exceptional skills in navigating a matrixed organization and adherence to strong cultural values of teamwork & collaboration, clear communication, creative thinking, diversity of thought, and perseverance.
The Senior Director of Market Research is expected to challenge conventional thinking in conducting market research and generating insights to meet the needs of the OAPI businesses. The market research leader is expected to push the MR team to elevate the quality of market research, increase the speed of collecting and communicating results, and enhance the MR team’s ability to tell a clear and compelling story through the information and insights coming from the market research. Moreover, the Senior Director is expected to challenge and push stakeholders to align to customer insights and ensure that business decisions are anchored to customer needs and preferences.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
• Autonomous and entrepreneurial approach to leading a MR function
• Strong management skills and ample experience in leading MR teams and the function
• Exceptional leadership skills that are tried and true in motivating others to excel
• Unwavering commitment to teamwork and collaboration within and across functions
• Expertise in attracting, developing, coaching, and retaining high quality MR talent
• Proactively take ownership of building internal relationships and mastering cultural standards
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including active listening
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with marketing/sales partners and to influence decision making
• Experience and confidence working with, challenging and influencing senior management
• Adept at working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Proven track record of applying cutting-edge market research tools and techniques to positively influence business decision making and brand performance
• Broad and deep knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative MR tools and techniques
• Strong, game-changing analytical skills and insights generation expertise
• Knowledge of and experience working with secondary data, including prescription data, patient-level data, sales data, and payer data
• Demonstrated experience and expertise integrating primary and secondary data into synthesized information and insights, and driving MR teams to operate accordingly
• Ability to think creatively and innovatively in solving complex business problems and to apply solutions to drive actionable results.
• Represent the MR function and associated interests in various business meetings and forums
• Proven knowledge of the clinical development process and product life-cycle from early stage through product launch, maturity and loss of exclusivity.
• Affinity for scientific information as well as working knowledge of medical terminology
• Knowledge of and experience with managing international market research programs
• Experience selecting, managing and developing MR agencies to become trusted business partners, to provide exceptional insights, and to communicate clear and cogent stories that drive business value
• Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a market research leadership role in the pharmaceutical industry or related profession.
• Minimum of 10 years conducting market research studies and managing projects
• Minimum of 10 years leading a market research team/function
• Master’s degree or MBA required; Ph.D. a plus
• Experience with CNS, Renal, Oncology and Orphan Disease areas a plus
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide.” Otsuka researches, develops, manufactures and markets innovative products, with a focus on pharmaceutical products to meet unmet medical needs and nutraceutical products for the maintenance of everyday health.
In pharmaceuticals, Otsuka is a leader in the challenging area of mental health and also has research programs on several under-addressed diseases including tuberculosis, a significant global public health issue. These commitments illustrate how Otsuka is a “big venture” company at heart, applying a youthful spirit of creativity in everything it does.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 45,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 11 billion (€ 9.9 billion) in 2016.
All Otsuka stories start by taking the road less travelled. Learn more about Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company on its global website at www.otsuka.co.jp/en. Learn more about Otsuka in the U.S. at www.otsuka-us.com.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.